Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Joy

When I was a freshman in college at UNC-G, I had a girlfriend named Joey.  It really aggravated her to be called "Joy" because her name was "Joey".  Now I have a husband named Joey and a son who is My Joy.  It took me six months to figure that out, and, for the record, it wasn't the first six months.

The Papa, Kay Kay, JayBird, and I had a small celebration at our favorite bakery.  (Well, it's the favorite bakery of Kay Kay and me, anyway.  JayBird abstained from the vote so The Papa yielded.)  I didn't think to call ahead to be sure there were cupcakes, but it didn't matter.  We each chose what we wanted.  Kay Kay chose pineapple honey cake, and The Papa had some fancy-flavored bread pudding.  I had chocolate chip banana bread which was the best.  Sweet sister shared bites of her cake with the birthday boy, and The Papa shared his bread pudding for the purpose of singing Happy Birthday and blowing out the candle.


Did I mention we were at Kay Kay's favorite bakery?  She hasn't prayed to go there yet like she prays to "go to PT's for dinner", but I'm sure it won't be long before Uprising makes the prayer list.



It made her feel like dancing.

Truthfully, Bob Marley made her feel like dancing.


And it turned JayBird upside down.  No, wait.  That was The Papa.

Both our babies have been batty for being upside down.  (Pun intended.)

Later that afternoon, we planted a tree.  We really didn't plan to plant a tree in honor of JayBird's birthday.  It just worked out that way.

The Papa had lots of help.  Look who did the dirty work.

You can guess what's coming next, right?

"I can wash him off, Mama."  He didn't mind.
I know it's so cliche to say this, but it really is hard to believe our JayBird is one already.  No elaborate party.  Not even a call-ahead to insure the traditional cupcake.  Just a roll-with-it kind-of day.  Just like our boy.  I'm so grateful for all the giggles he's given us, for stretching the limits of our love, and for these eyes.

My Joy.




No comments:

Post a Comment